How to choose LED replacement bulbs
- Check the operation voltage of your existing bulb, Low voltage 12V, 24V? or Mains voltage operation 110V, 220V? We have one sub-catalouge LED light bulbs can work on all the mains voltage between AC 85V and 265V.
- Check the Size, Not all LED light bulbs are the same size as your existing halogen light bulbs. Some LED light bulbs are slightly larger than normal halogen bulbs, so check the dimensions of the bulb before you buy as it might not fit in your light fitting.
- Base Configuration: When you buy LED bulbs, You must match the base sizes. Most common household fixtures have pin or Edison, also known as screw-in, bases. Types of lamp bases include:
Miniature Candelabra Type E11, E12. A small bulb base, frequently used in chandeliers
Candelabra Type E14, E17. A slightly larger bulb base, used in chandeliers, light sconces and other small fixtures
Intermediate A bulb base between the candelabra and medium sizes, commonly used in ceiling fans
Medium Type E26 or E27, The bulb base design for standard light bulbs, used in most lamps and overhead light fixtures
Bi-pin Type G4, Gx5.3, MR11, MR16, GU10. A standard base for small light bulbs
Fluorescent base - Tyep G5, G13, G23, G24 (note that the length of American standrd is different from Europen standard ), GX23, 2G11-4. Use for flourescent tube and compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Check the Lumens and the beam angle, The lumen output of the bulb is a measure of its brightness. The higher the figure, the brighter the LED light bulb. Some LED light bulbs give a false impression of brightness as they have a very narrow beam, resulting in a bright light but that is only very narrow in size. When you calculate the lumens of led lights replacement, You must consider the bulb is directional light bulb or non-directional light bulb (this is very important). For example, The compact fluorescent light tube is 360 degree beam light output, And the LED ligth tube is 120 degree beam light output. The lumens of 36 watt CFL is about 3200 lumens, If you use led light tube as repalcement, computational formula is (3200/360)*120 (this is consider the beam angle of directional light)+(3200/2)*50% (this is consider the lumens of reflect light) =1866 lumens of led light tube is enough.
- Calculate watts, The replacement bulb calculation from incandescent bulb, compact fluorescent lamp and halogen bulb to LED bulb is not easy. For directional lamp (this is very important), The chart was about below listed. But for non-directional lamp, The watts of LED bulb must be increased about 50%.
1W LED = 3W CFL = 15W Incandescent lamp = 8W Halogen lamp
3W LED = 8W CFL = 25W Incandescent lamp = 24W Halogen lamp
4W LED = 11W CFL = 40W Incandescent lamp = 32W Halogen lamp
8W LED = 15W CFL = 75W Incandescent lamp = 64W Halogen lamp
12W LED = 20W CFL = 100W Incandescent lamp = 96W Halogen lamp
- Understand white colors can be Warm White (Color Temperature 2700K to 3500k), Daylight white also said as Cool White (5000K to 6500K), Natural white (4000K to 4500K).